Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Broadbandwagon

I have been bugged a lot by all the angst over the OECD broadband study that shows Canada falling behind in the broadband race. Pundits, politicians and media have all jumped on the data to bemoan our limp results. Most of this handwringing isn't based on much independent thought.



Arguably the results are not so bad when you consider that new 30, 50 or even 100 meg cable modem services aren't adequately reflected yet or that the results can't capture the big 3G HSPA wireless launches that are planned early in 2010. Not so bad when we realize that trailing small domains like Luxembourg (pop 500k or so) or Denmark is a not particularly relevant. Pretty good when you check the OECD hit parade and find that we still lead all the G8 (hey that's something worth noodling is the G8 tanking or do we hold a trading advantage?) . Mind you not so good compared to Japan or Korea. But here is the killer question we have missed? So what? I mean what is the goal.



How fast do our networks have to be in the consumer space for Canada to be globally competitive. As a consumer I say bring it on .The faster the better. Of course I don't actually buy the fastest today because the 7/8 meg service I have gives me all I need . But I get it . Build a faster network and someone will fill it with good stuff like games and movies. But has anyone ever tried to measure the economic advantage that comes from each 10 meg jump in speed . I bet its not linear.



The reason I am asking this question, which to some degree questions my own broadband dogma, is because I have been pplaying with a 512Kps satellite service at the cottage. (still raining)I guess its a bit slower than what I am used to a home or the office but the lag is in seconds and managable even for someone suffering from ADD. Over the last few days I have been surfing and twittering, doing e-mail,downloading files and I even made a web page to post this on . All at half a meg. Pretty radical for a post-war boomer.



So back to my question . What's the right metric? It's an important question for our national ICT strategy. Faster and bigger for sure but if we don't catch up with Japan or Korea soon are we toast or just envious?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe there's another question we need to ask, too, although it's more socially focused than economically.

    Should we focus on providing ultra-fast connectivity to those in urban areas, or should we focus on providing universal internet access to all citizens at a reasonable speed (faster in urban areas but still reasonable in all other areas)?

    The two aren't mutually exclusive from a technical point of view, of course. As a matter of practicality, though, they effectively do represent an either/or situation given the limited capital that is available with which to work.

    In effect: do we embrace digital inclusion... or expand the digital divide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post! It's the little changes that produce the most important changes. Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

My Favourites